Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Living, learning and leading equitably and inclusively.
The Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board (KPR) values equity, diversity, inclusiveness and the dignity and humanity of each individual in its policies, practices, programs and interactions.
The Board has an advisory Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee that consists of representatives from all employee groups. The mandate of this committee is to address equity, diversity and inclusiveness in the human resources services, educational services and business services of the Board and to provide leadership and direction in the areas of equity, diversity and inclusiveness. As required, sub-committees are established to address particular areas or concerns.
The Equity, Diversity and Inclusion team serves as a resource to the Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board to advance the principles of equity, diversity, inclusiveness and respect for the dignity of all persons. In collaboration with students, employees, trustees and the community, the team facilitates student achievement while supporting just, fair working and learning environments. The team's work is guided primarily by the principles and practises mandated under the Charter of Rights & Freedoms, the Ontario Human Rights Code, the Education Act, the Safe Schools Act, Ontario's Equity and Inclusive Education Strategy, and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2001 and 2005.
In collaboration with other departments and programs, the Equity and Diversity team:
- implements equity-related policies and administrative regulations
- develops and maintains KPR's Multi-Year Accessibility Plan
- involves community partners in equity and diversity initiatives
- supports and trains student equity committees within KPR schools
- provides anti-discrimination education to teachers and teacher mentors
- delivers equity and diversity training to school administrators, managers and all staff
- creates/disseminates resources and coordinates projects that enhance understanding of equity, diversity and inclusion in our Board community.