Centres For Individual Studies
The Centre for Individual Studies provides a dynamic educational experience in a flexible environment where students and staff together pursue their quest for life-long learning in an atmosphere of cooperation, dignity and mutual respect.
For additional information, please see below and check out the following two brochures.
What We Do:
Learning is a life-long experience and through CIS, formal learning experiences are made available for adults and teens. The Centre offers an alternative setting that provides strong academic credit courses in English, mathematics, science, life skills and other Ministry of Education approved courses. A combination of classroom instruction (conditional upon campus availability) and self-directed study provides the Centre staff opportunities to foster an environment that allows students to take responsibility for their studies, to increase their life options, and to have confidence in themselves and their ability to function successfully in today's society.
CIS is a unique secondary school for adult and alternative education where about half the students are 21 years of age or older and half are under 21 years of age. It is made up of 3 campuses within the jurisdiction of the Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board and is supervised by a principal and vice-principal. Each campus offers a diverse selection of secondary school courses. Whether you want to return to school to complete a secondary school diploma, upgrade your credits for employment or further your education, you are to be congratulated on your courage and determination as you seek to achieve your goals.
Supervised Alternative Learning brochure
People who can benefit from the program are:
- Individuals who need training, retraining or upgrading to fully participate in today's information based society
- students seeking their Grade 12 graduation diploma
- individuals who have been traditionally unable to participate fully in our society: the unemployed, the underemployed, the illiterate, and the poor
- youths who have left regular school system without a diploma
- adult immigrants who require training in English as a second language
- individuals who need post secondary training
The objectives for the Centre for Individual Studies consists of helping each student to:
- work towards secondary school credits and a diploma,
- experience job training through co-operative education,
- upgrade for entrance to post secondary institutions as a mature student,
- work towards credits for entrance into apprenticeship training,
- prepare for successful entrance into the workforce,
- grow as an individual both intellectually and emotionally,
- integrate technology into everyday life
Contacting the CIS
Please click on the CIS Locations link for contact information, including phone numbers and e-mail addresses.